New Year’s Resolutions: Making the Workplace Better for Everyone
Goal setting at work happens all year long: setting deadlines, sales targets, and giving the team milestones by which to mark their progress. Resolutions — and what better time than the New Year to make them! — are more qualitative than quantitative. Resolutions can help improve the workplace environment and employees’ attitudes which can lead to improvements in the bottom line!
Setting New Year’s resolutions at the workplace can bring the group together as they define their vision of what’s important for them at work. Once resolutions are agreed upon, decide on some steps to help get you all there together. The important thing is to be realistic, and choose resolutions that you can begin to take immediate steps toward.
Here are some popular workplace resolutions for 2017 to give you ideas of what may benefit your organization.
- destress: encourage breaks from work — even brief “take a walk” or “do some stretches”; or set up some “yoga at your desk” workshops; or initiate monthly on-site pizza parties; anything to break up the routine and get people moving around
- declutter: establish some official time for office and files cleanup; implement policies to cut down on printed paperwork; set up more recycling bins.
- be positive: officially and regularly acknowledge good work or good attitudes; encourage each other to see the good in others and show appreciation; when compliments are passed on, encourage they be passed on to an employee’s supervisor as well
Other resolutions suggestions?
- have healthier food options at work
- communicate better
- reward employees for exemplary work
- help staff learn new skills
Ask your employees or your team to come up with a list of two or three — together!
The New Year is the perfect time to think about ways that each of us can help improve our work lives and workplace. You may be surprised at the big impact little changes can have for everyone!